Friday, November 10, 2006

Captain's Log

My roommate and I went over to my gramps house again last night to pick up my second load of firewood. He recently cut down a huge magnolia tree in his backyard and has tons of wood piles to get rid of. Its Lucky for both of us that I have a pickup truck and am in dire need of firewood for this winter. When my grandmother (Memere) heard that we were going to be in the neigborhood she promply asked us to drop by for a visit. Naturally, I said "dinner sounds good, we'll be there at 7:00!" Scott and I picked up a 2004 bottle of African red wine to bring over, which memere reluctantly tasted (she likes her French wine). Dinner was great, and so were the cremepuffs we had for dessert (Ouch). After much convincing on my part that I was okay to drive, we headed over to pick up the wood. When we got there gramps showed me his new GPS system and explained how hes learning all these new shortcuts around his house. He also gave me a couple of persimmons (which i had never heard of) that he got from a friend earlier that day. A persimmon is an orange yellow fruit that looks kind of like a pepper. Im not sure what it tastes like yet but did find out from gramps that i shouldnt eat the rind, it gives you constipation. Tune in tomorrow when I blog about chopping wood, WAHOO!

No comments: